Sunday, March 8, 2009

Native craft fair

On Saturday, after we viewed the start of the Iditarod, we headed to the mall to pick up a new power cord for my laptop, yay!!
They were holding a native arts craft fair to coincide with the Iditarod. Here are some of the wares they had for sale. All vendors are local native artists.
a
aaPurses made from Seal & Ivory
a
a
aaDecorative masks
a
a
aaChildren's Mukluks
a
a
Many Alaskan natives still live in remote villages where there main means of survival revolve around subsistence hunts for whales, seals, and salmon. Although I am against most uses of animal skins, fur, bones, etc. this is one method that I 100% support. When the animals are harvested they use all parts of the animal from the meat as food, & skin and fur for warmth.
We have lived in Alaska for nearly 6 yrs and I have always had an eye for the ivory and whale baleen bracelets but due to the costs of them I haven't been able to afford one. I was lamenting that fact to Kyle as we left the craft fair and how I would love to someday own one. We got home from the fair and went about our normal routine of running the dogs out and getting ready for some supper. I ended up in our room to get a sweater and sitting inconspicuously on my dresser was...
a
a
How did he know that this was exactly the one I wanted? I didn't tell him about the bracelet until we were leaving the fair. Turns out he was browsing the booths, without me, and spotted the bracelet and thought I would like it. Needless to say he got a lot of kisses and I have been wearing it non-stop, even when doing the laundry and cooking breakfast this morning!
Words can't even begin to describe what a amazing man he is and how lucky I am to have found him...
a

1 comment:

Christy said...

DeeDee, That is a beautiful!! What a wonderful gift.