Friday, March 13, 2009

Dreaming of breakfast...


a
I woke up this morning and am hankering for a nice slice of zucchini bread for breakfast. This wasn't completely an impulse decision as I inventoried my kitchen last night to find that I had the ingredients needed for zucchini bread, I had some leftover zucchini from a week ago that was getting a bit sad looking. I have a great recipe for zucchini bread that is from my Great Aunt. I did a little bit of modifications; the recipe calls for orange peel and I subbed some orange juice, and I also added in some grated carrots for extra flavor and color.
a
Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
1 C Vegetable oil
2 C Granular sugar
1 C Zucchini - raw & grated
1 C Carrots - raw, peeled, & grated
1 Tbsp. Vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. Orange juice
3 C AP Flour (all-purpose)
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking soda
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 C Walnuts - chopped
a
Beat eggs, add in oil, sugar, zucchini, carrots, vanilla, & orange juice and stir until combined. In separate bowl sift flour, salt, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, & powder. Add flour mixture into egg mixture, small batches at a time, and stir well. Once the egg and flour mixture is combined, add in walnuts and stir to combine. Pour dough into 2 greased bread pans. Bake 325 degrees, check after 50 minutes for doneness but may take as long as 65 minutes (1 hr. & 5 min.) to finish. When baking 2 pans at once, I prefer to rotate the pans half way through baking to ensure that they are even in color and doneness.
a
aaReady to go
a
aaLots of color
a
aaDry ingredients
a
aaWalnuts added at the end
a
aaReady for the oven
a
aaYummy golden goodness!
a
aaHomemade zucchini bread
a
Now if you'll excuse me, I think my breakfast is calling :-)
a

No comments: