Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sticky Bun heaven

Growing up, my mother would make sticky buns on Christmas morning, and as an adult I still love them when the weather gets cold. Today we woke up to a good frost and temps around 26 Degrees. With sticky buns on the brain I threw the dough ingredients into my trusty bread machine, came back 1 1/2 hrs later to finish them in the oven.

Sticky Buns
1 Batch bread dough
1/3 C Butter
2/3 C Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Rum flavoring
1/4 C Pecan pieces - I prefer to break them up in my hand
Melt butter, add in sugar, rum and pecan pieces. Lightly grease bundt pan, pour 2/3 of butter topping into pan. Take dough and roll into small balls & place them on top. Pour remaining butter topping all over the dough. Cover and let sit 30-45 minutes to proof dough. Uncover, & bake 350 Degrees 30-35 minutes until golden. Cover top of bundt pan with a large plate and invert the entire thing, remove the bundt pan, and the pecans brown sugar goodness runs down the sides of the dough.














Here the dough is rolled into balls, cover the top of the pan and let rest.  And here is what it looks like after baking, check the sides to make sure it isn't stuck before attempting to invert onto large plate. 














Oh yum!
Thanks mom for giving me your trusty worn-with-love bundt pan :-)



Next time I make these, I am going to try rolling the balls in a sugar cinnamon mixture before placing them in the pan to rise.

**No, these were not on the scheduled food menu for this month, BUT I had all the ingredients and it doesn't affect any of the other planned meals.  I figure that there will be several times this month that this will happen, I noticed I have a full bag of Polenta in my pantry and haven't used it in a recipe this month so it will probably be swapped in somewhere instead of rice.  I have an awesome recipe for Polenta with cheese, it's healthy too, I'll post it when its made.