Friday, October 30, 2009

Harvest Apple Muffins

I made some homemade apple butter last weekend and had some leftover, so besides using it on toast I was pondering what other great ways it could be used.  A while back, I purchased a large box of muffin mix at costco, you add in the flavorings you want, as well as some water and your good to go.  So my plan was to try adding the apple butter to the muffins for a fall inspired muffin.  With a quick dig around the pantry and my spice & baking cabinet, this is what I came up with.

Harvest Apple Muffins
3 C Dry muffin mix
1 C Water
1/2 C Apple Butter
1/4 C Pecan pieces
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 tsp. Cinnamon - ground
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1/4 C Butter- softened
1 tsp. Cinnamon - ground

Combine muffin mix & water, add in apple butter, pecans, vanilla, & first cinnamon amount.  Stir until well combined but don't overmix.  Spoon mix into prepared muffin tins.  In a small bowl combine brown sugar, softened butter & second cinnamon amount.  Mix until it resembles coarse crumbs, spoon over muffin mix.  
Bake 350, 12-18 minutes.  To test for doneness, lightly touch tops, if it springs back then it is ready.


I prefer to break up the pecan pieces in my hand, & I left the apple butter on the chunky side cause I like to see what I am eating, sorry I just get weird with food sometimes!


The topping added to the muffins before they are baked, & then what they look like after.  For a healthy twist, you can add in some quick oats to the brown sugar streusel topping before they are baked. 

No comments: