Wednesday, September 9, 2009

U-Pick Farm

Its just about frost time here in Alaska. Kyle and I, along with my mother & father in-law, took advantage of the beautiful weather and headed out to the valley to pick some vegetables.
a
a
This is always the best time of year for harvesting vegetables as there is a great amount of variety. The view out in the Butte is beautiful, and only a short drive from Anchorage, makes it well worth the time involved versus running to the grocery store.
a
a
We weren't the only ones to visit that day as the farm was running out of buckets and knives to supply to the visitors. Kyle, my hunter gatherer, climbing around in the broccoli forest to find me the perfect broccoli, ain't he sweet!a:-)
a
a
I have been dying to get some fresh rhubarb before it is gone for the year and thankfully the farm still had a dozen or so plants left to harvest. My grandmother made a mean Rhubarb Custard Pie, and the recipe has been patiently been sitting on my kitchen counter just waiting to be made. And, something that still amazes me, the farm actually grows artichokes. In the middle of gosh darn Alaska, something that I thought didn't grow in cold weather and here are rows and rows of artichoke plants.
a
a
Here is our score for our days work. Zucchini, cabbage, rhubarb, cauliflower, broccoli, baby red potatoes, and mustard greens. Considering that all of this produce came in under $1 per pound, I don't feel so bad spending the gas to get out there to harvest it and support the local growers at the same time.
Oa