Friday, September 4, 2009

A bite of kindness

Today, as I was making a batch of my mom's tasty Chocolate Chip cookies, I thought that the guy who was actively working on replacing my water heater might enjoy a couple of fresh warm cookies too!
I managed to arrange it so that the cookies had just finished baking as he was getting ready to leave and I handed him a napkin with several warm fragrant cookies as he was heading out the door. The huge smile on his face was enough to know that those cookies were well appreciated, he commented on how good they smelled and I knew then that even the smallest sign of appreciation can have a huge impact. It's in those small moments of gratitude that we see the human in humanity and the kindness that can be shared by all.



Do you take the time to show appreciation to those around you?

Here is the recipe for my mom's Chocolate Chip cookies, with a bit of modifications of my own.


Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 C Shortening
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1/4 C Granular Sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp. Water
1 Egg
1 C + 2 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 C Chocolate Chips (I prefer bittersweet but semisweet also works well)
1/3 C Pecan or Walnut pieces (I break them up in my hands) *optional*


Mix shortening, sugars, vanilla & water, beat until creamy. Add in egg and mix well. In a medium bowl combine flour, soda, & salt, once mixed add into shortening mixture. Stir well. Add in chocolate chips & nuts.
Bake 375 degrees on ungreased cookie sheets for 10 minutes.