Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Just like Starbucks, only cheaper!

I have always been a fan of coffee, I remember having my first taste at 7 when I was at my dads office they would have a large pot brewing all day. I remember that I always loved the smell of it but the taste was horrible without adding a ton of creamer and sugar. As I've gotten older, I still like to drink coffee but I have been looking for better/healthier alternatives than drinking it with a 50/50 ratio of creamer & syrup to coffee.
A couple of weeks back, Kyle treated me to a special cup of coffee from Starbucks, and I have to admit that it was amazing! The price was really high, $4.50 for 16oz, so I have been looking for ways to reproduce the same product at home. The biggest obstacle was locating White Chocolate Mocha flavoring. Thankfully, I work at a restaurant, and one of the local companies we purchase items through carries a large selection of gourmet coffee syrups. It cost $11.89 for 64oz bottle, which if you make a 12oz cup of coffee it only uses 2oz of syrup. I had to make some modifications since I don't own a coffee maker let alone a fancy espresso machine! I now present my version of White Chocolate Mocha...
a
White Chocolate Mocha - DeeDee style :-)
1 heaping Tbsp. Instant Espresso
1/4 C Hot Water
1/4 C White Chocolate Mocha syrup (or more if you like it really sweet)
1 C Milk (I use skim milk)
a
Combine hot water and espresso in a mug (at least 12oz size or larger). Add in syrup and stir until combined, you can reheat for 30 seconds in the microwave if needed. Heat up milk in a sauce pot on medium heat, whisk while it heats to prevent scorching and to froth the milk. Once heated thoroughly, pour milk into espresso mixture. Top with whipped cream if you like, and a drizzle of white chocolate mocha. Viola, super easy and super tasty White Chocolate Mocha!
a
The espresso is what I use when I am making Tiramisu, the container costs approx. $5.89.
*The syrup is made by Ghirardelli, you can also get in a powder form.*
a
aSyrup & Instant Espresso
a
aEspresso & hot water
a
aMeasuring the syrup
a
aHeating up the milk
a
aFinished coffee, yummy!
a

No comments: