Friday, July 3, 2009

Sunshine in a jar


a
It might sound strange, but berries make me happy, I mean really make me happy.
I haven't met a berry I didn't like, their eye popping color and fresh flavors remind me of summer time. One of my favorite berries is a raspberry. These are quite expensive at the regular stores but I find that I can get them really affordable at Costco.
So, what do you do with lots of tasty beautiful raspberries? Besides eating them fresh with a light sprinkling of sugar, you turn them into yummy jam!
a
a
a
I went a bit crazy with the jam and ended up with a dozen jars of ruby red sunshine in a jar. Now we can enjoy summer time year round and have enough jars to share some too.
a
Raspberry Jam
5 C Berries
7 C Sugar
1 Packet Pectin
Wash berries, crush one layer at a time in a large pot. Bring pot to a medium/high heat and slowly stir in pectin. Bring to a boil and add in sugar, stir continually to avoid scorching and allow the sugar to dissolve. Let boil 2 minutes, then remove from heat. Ladle into clean & sanitized jars leaving 1/4 in. gap (the width of the lid threads on the glass). Process 10 minutes in a water bath canner. Remove from canner & let cool 12 - 24 hrs. Test tops for doneness, if they pop up/down, remove lids & bands, replace with new ones, and re-can for same amount of time.
*This recipe will fill 8, 8oz jars.*
aaa

No comments: