Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Heat Wave


I don't know why I feel like ranting about our weather, I really do enjoy sunshine and warm days, but this last week has drained me, and I think its the lack of air conditioning in our home.
a
You'd figure that living in Alaska, the summers would be mild, but whoa not this year! Temps this last week have been soaring to near 90's (87 when I left work yesterday). And another gorgeously warm day today. Our poor Pugs have been hogging the fan and all of our windows are wide open to hopefully create some sort of draft. My parents live in Montana and there temps have been 20 degrees cooler than us in recent days.
a
My meal plan for the week is completely shot, there is no way that I want to cook in this heat so its been salads and bbq until further notice. Alas, there will be no chocolate decadence recipe post this week, sorry! I have been unable to find my trusted recipe and resorted to another recipe instead that didn't turn out at all. What I did make this week has been my mothers recipe for Fruit Pizza, posted below for you to drool over the pics and try for yourself.
a
On another note, Kyle has planned a trip for us at the end of August, yeah I know....what a sweet guy he is! I have been trying to get some sunshine so that I am not so ghastly when we hit the beach. I ended up with a nasty bite on my shoulder 4 days ago and its slowly starting to go away, its a strange bite/sting as the area raised up with bruising around the edges, next time i'll stay away from my plants that the spiders like to hang out in.
a
Fruit Pizza
1 package pre-made sugar cookie dough
1/2 C Granular Sugar
1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1/2 C Orange Juice
2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
1/4 C Water
8 oz. Cream cheese - softened
5 oz. Cool whip
Fresh fruit
a
Press cookie dough to fit a pizza pan (approx. 12 in.). Bake 350 degrees, 9-12 minutes until golden, let cool.
In medium sauce pot combine sugar & cornstarch, add in orange juice, lemon juice, & water, heat to medium/high and boil for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat to cool.
In medium bowl combine cream cheese & cool whip, spread on top of cooled cookie dough crust. Slice a variety of fresh fruits and layer on top of cream cheese mix. Spread orange juice glaze on top of fruit. Cover & chill until ready to serve.
*Pizza is best when you let it sit for a while, if you cut & serve immediately the crust is very hard where if you wait 12 - 24 hrs. the crust has time to soften up from the toppings.*
a

a
a

a
*Head on over to the Grocery Cart Challenge for more recipe ideas!*
aa

1 comment:

Candi said...

that is beautiful!