Friday, June 26, 2009

Cabbage Bundles

My recipe posts lately have been all sweets and no savory recipes. This cabbage bundle recipe is originally my mothers and I have made some small modifications.

Cabbage Bundles
1 Head Green Cabbage (large works best)
1/2 Lb. Hamburger
1/2 Lb. Ground Pork
1 Tbsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
1 Tbsp. Chili Sauce
1/2 C Cooked Rice (prefer Basmati or Jasmine)
8 C Beef broth (can sub with bullion cubes)
2 C Water (or more beef broth if needed)
1 Egg beaten

Pour 8 C beef broth in large pot, heat to a simmer. Place 8-10 large outer cabbage leaves in broth for 1 min. until soft. Remove leaves from pot, set on large plate til ready to use.
In large bowl combine hamburger, pork, salt, pepper, chili sauce, rice & egg. Spoon meat mixture into wilted cabbage leaves and roll up. Use toothpicks to hold closed, place back into simmering broth, if the liquid does not cover the bundles, add water until they are submerged. I like to boil the remaining cabbage, cut into quarters, on top of the bundles.
Simmer 1 hour.

*I purchase the 1 lb sausage rolls for this recipe, the other half of the sausage will be used in a soup recipe that I'll post shortly.*

No comments: