Friday, January 2, 2009

Beautiful homemade butter

I am surprised that I have never made butter before, it is sooooo easy! I have seen several blog posts regarding making your own butter and when I had a half gallon of heavy cream about to expire, I figured that turning it into butter and buttermilk would be the best way to use it up.

a
I used my professional grade Kitchen Aid mixer, I am sure you could use just about any kind of mixer but it may take longer/shorter times to separate the butter from the buttermilk. I used the medium speed on my mixer as I didn't know how long it would take or how strenuous the motor would have to work.

a
aaaMixer and Heavy Cream ready to go
a
aaaStarted at 2:25
a
aaaNot much change at 2:30
a
aaaStarts to thicken at 2:35
a
aaaCreeping up the bowl at 2:40
a
aaaWhipped cream at 2:45
a
aaaStarts to separate at 2:50
a
aaaLooks like whipped butter at 2:55, but where is the buttermilk?
a
aaaButter and buttermilk start to separate at 3:00!
a
aaaDraining off buttermilk and a final spin at 3:02
a
aaaFinished products
a
aaa
Approximately 4 cups butter, and 3 cups buttermilk. I did not add any salt to my finished butter, this way I have more control over the salt that is added to recipes. However, without the added salt, the butter is on the sweet side. I wrapped up the butter pats in little wax paper squares and saran wrap, they will keep for a while in the freezer. Now, why didn't I try this sooner?
a

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Hi Michelle, What size carton of heavy cream did you use?

Thanks for the visuals - it speaks a 1000 words to actually see what you did!

Nancy

DeeDee said...

Nancy,
I used a half gallon of heavy cream. Most grocery stores only carry pints but I did find that Sam's Club & Costco carry half gallon containers for around $7. Good Luck!

DeeDee