Friday, December 19, 2008

What are we really buying?

Some things to think about during the gift giving time of year.
a
DIAMONDSaaaWe've all been there at one time or another; buying beautiful diamond jewelry for our loved one or for ourselves. But what most people don't know is just where that diamond comes from.
Blood diamond facts aaa

  • More than half the world's diamonds come from Africa.
  • Conflict diamonds account for 4-15% of the world total.
  • Conflict areas include Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Democratic Republic of Congo, & Angola.
  • 60-65% of the world's diamonds are purchased in the U.S.

When buying diamonds, ask the jeweler for a certificate of origin to determine where the diamond was mined. Several years back I visited a national jewelry chain, whom I will not name, and I requested to see a certificate of origin on a ring I was interested in. They quietly asked me to leave the store, this was after I was adamant on seeing the certification before making a purchase, and I have not been back. The reason for the uproar was most likely due to the fact that they did not have country of origin certifications for some or all of there diamonds. To read more about blood diamonds click here, here, & here. Conflict diamond videos here, & here.

a

FURaaaI've never had a desire to own a fur coat. I thought that they were beautiful and soft, but had no idea how the fur was harvested. Not all fur harvested is done through cruel methods, but why take the chance. China has the worst harvest methods involving cats and dogs, many whom have collars and are obviously a loved pet, are shamelessly sold for there fur. It is not uncommon for animals to be alive during the harvesting process. Fur is often dyed and sold as faux fur when in fact it is real fur. After reading several articles involving fur, and checking my closets thoroughly, I'm happy to report that my household is fur free!

To read more about fur and what you can do click here, & here. Videos on fur trade here, & here.
a

CHOCOLATEaaaI must apologize in advance for ruining any one's day. I myself am a chocoholic and after reading recent news, I will be looking at the labels closer before I make my chocolate purchases. The bulk of chocolate is grown & initially processed in Africa in poor conditions with some or all forced labor of children that have been sold to work.



For more info regarding safe chocolate brands read here. Videos regarding slave chocolate is here, & here.
a

No comments: