Saturday, November 22, 2008

Homemade Blueberry syrup

The weather has been pretty chilly lately as our daily high has been around 15 degrees, so that means that we have been spending the days indoors. This morning I was up early and thought I would surprise my hubby with a nice breakfast. A plate of waffles with homemade syrup and whipped cream sounded great to me, and thankfully Kyle loves whatever I make (honestly, you can ask him yourself!). I am so grateful that Kyle is not picky when it comes to our meals, as sometimes I tend to make odd dinners, he just smiles and gratefully digs in.
a
I've been slowly working on doing once a month cooking, thanks to Erin over at Jane4 girls, she did a great post on whipping up a large batch of waffles in advance and I figured that since I was making waffles for breakfast that this would be a great time to do a large batch as well!
a
The blueberry syrup boiled away as I made waffles. Here is my ingredient list for the syrup. Please bear in mind that these are not exact amounts, as you can adjust the sugar as needed or adjust the water or cornstarch if you want it thicker or thinner.

Blueberry Syrup
3 C Blueberries (I use frozen)
1/3 C Granular Sugar
1 1/2 C Water
2 tsp. Lemon Juice
2-3 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1/4 C Cold Water
a
Combine berries, sugar, first amount of water, and lemon juice in a medium pot. Bring to a soft boil and continually stir to avoid scorching. I normally let this cook for 10 min. to help break down the berries. The juice will get darker the more you boil the berries. At this point, I use a potato masher to break up the berries, then let boil an additional 5 min. Pour through a fine mesh strainer, put the hot syrup back into the pot, return to a soft boil. In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and cold water, slowly drizzle into boiling syrup, make sure to mix well. Let this boil 2-3 min. If too thick add a bit of water, if too thin add a bit more cornstarch and cold water mixture.
a
aaaBerries boiling away
a
aaaThickened with cornstarch
a
aaaKyle's Breakfast :-)
a
The doggies also had breakfast. I broke up 2 waffles and drizzled a bit of syrup on the pieces. They really enjoy the weekend as it means breafast for everyone on both days.
a
I let the extras cool, the syrup will be great for future breakfast or would also be super tasty heated up and drizzled on vanilla ice cream, or maybe even for a banana split, yummy!
a

No comments: