Thursday, November 13, 2008

Alaskan winters

I cannot believe that Thanksgiving is just two weeks away, yikes!

View of downtown Anchorage

Swans at Potter's Marsh

Bohemian Waxwing

Frozen window

Now is the time of year when I really realize why I enjoy living in Alaska. I am an avid photographer and wherever I go, I have at least one camera with me. With us moving in spring 2009, to Wisconsin, this will be our last winter to enjoy Alaska. Alaska has to be the only place where you can be late to work due to a moose in your yard or one walking down the street, and it actually happens here! I take photos daily, but I have yet to capture a decent photo of the ever elusive Aurora Borealis. Not to mention the challenge this poses as the Aurora isn't fully visible til aftern 11pm and it peaks around 1-2am, and I have to be up for work at 4am so it doesn't really work with my sleep schedule!

We are discussing the possibility of our christmas gift, to each other, to be a trip to Chena Hot Springs where the Aurora Borealis is seen almost nightly during the winter months. The Alaskan Railroad runs to Fairbanks, this takes a day, then spending one night in Fairbanks with the following day taking a snow coach to Chena Hot Springs. Chena is known for its Ice Museum and Hot Springs. For a fee, a professional photographer will take you out to photograph the Aurora, as you stay out all night sipping hot cocoa and watching the northern skies, sounds fun to me!

**Click HERE to see pictures from Chena Hot Springs including the Ice Museum, and the Aurora Borealis.**

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Where are you moving in Wisconsin? I am in Western Wisconsin near La Crosse. You will find Wisconsin has friendly, good people.

DeeDee said...

Tiffany,
I've heard of La Crosse, but not sure where it is. We are initially moving to Green Bay, but I am really interested in living in Howard, just west of Green Bay. We have never been to Wisconsin so the move is a bit intimidating and hopefully we will like the area.

LOL...my hubby and I are such dorks, as we are excited to check out the local cheese farms!

Tiffany said...

La Crosse is on the opposite side of the state from Green Bay! We are about 5 miles from the border of Minnesota. Good luck with your move!

Anonymous said...

How beautiful!

Charlene said...

I lived in Fairbanks for a short time a couple of years ago. One of my regrets is that we never got to see the full Aurora Borealis. Alaska is so beautiful, and the lifestyle in the interior is so laid back, I hope I get to go back someday.